CVSA’s (Commercial Vehicle Safety Alliance) International Roadcheck is an opportunity to educate the general public and industry as well as to raise awareness on the importance of vehicle safety. During the most extensive targeted enforcement program in the world, about 15 buses and trucks are inspected (on average) every minute in the United States, Canada, and Mexico during 72 hours. The Roadcheck 2021 will take place on May 4-6.
2021 Driver Emphasis:
- Hours of Service (HOS)
- “Drivers of commercial property-carrying vehicles and passenger-carrying vehicles are subject to rules that limit the hours spent driving and working and regulate the minimum amount of time drivers must rest between driving shifts. Canada, Mexico, and the U.S. all have strict hours-of-service regulations in place to help reduce the occurrence of driver fatigue.” cvsa.org
2021 Vehicle Emphasis:
- “Lighting devices include headlamps, tail lamps, clearance lamps, identification lamps, license plate, and side marker lamps, stop lamps, turn signals, and lamps on projecting loads. All required lighting devices are inspected for proper color, operation, mounting, and visibility. The condition and location of reflectors and retroreflective sheeting are also inspected.” cvsa.org
- “The top vehicle violation in the U.S. in fiscal 2020 was an inoperable required lamp, accounting for 12.2% of all vehicle violations and 4.4% of all out-of-service vehicle violations. Moreover, taking into account all possible lighting-related violations issued in fiscal 2020, one in four vehicles chosen for inspection (25.3%) was issued a lighting-related violation. Slightly more than one in seven out-of-service violations (16.4%) in the U.S. was lighting related.” cvsa.org
What else are they checking for?
Outside of the focus road inspectors will also be checking these components:
- Fuel systems
- Brake systems
- Lighting devices
- Exhaust systems
- Coupling devices
- Cargo securement
- Windshield wipers
- Wheels, hubs, and rims
- Emergency equipment
Each vehicle inspection could include up to 37 steps (depending on the chosen level of investigation). A complete Roadcheck review is the most comprehensive one and will consist of checking whether the driver is operating under the influence of fatigue or illness, alcohol or drugs, and using a seatbelt. Drivers will also be asked to provide:
- Driver’s license
- Hours-of-service records
- Medical card
- Vehicle’s fuel permit and registration
- Proof of vehicle annual inspection
As thousands of commercial vehicles get placed out-of-service because of various violations, drivers need to ensure equipment is in tip-top shape.
How Roadcheck Affects Shippers
International Roadcheck inspection may lead to increased costs and delays. Non-compliant vehicles and drivers taken out of service will cause setbacks and reduced capacity. Some FTL drivers and carriers choose not to operate during the Roadcheck week. During the inspection, all drivers must wait in lines as the inspection takes about an hour (and the lines can sometimes be quite long.)
How Roadcheck Affects Drivers’ CSA Score
In case a carrier fails an inspection, getting placed out-of-order will impact their CSA (Compliance, Safety, Accountability) and BASIC (Behavioral Analysis and Safety Improvement Category) scores, leading to a compliance review. Ultimately, it may affect the Safety Fitness Determination rating. Other related consequences involve potentially lost customers, lost driver wages, and delivery delays. So, before you get back on the road, make sure you are prepared for Roadcheck 2021 to avoid violations.
Since 1998, when the Roadcheck program began, more than 1.5 million inspections have been performed. There were about 63,000 inspections in 2016 when 21.5% of vehicles were taken out of service due to critical violations such as brake system violations, false logs, and issues with hours of service.
If you are concerned about your capacity due to Roadcheck, First Call Logistics offers many services to help you meet your supply chain needs. We can work with you to help you move your product on time, ensuring the fastest road delivery possible. Contact us for more information.